My husband and I spent the final 3 nights of our honeymoon at Capella Ixtapa and we couldn't have been happier with our choice.
Perched on the cliffside overlooking the Pacific, Capella is a gorgeous property in a gorgeous location. The service is impecable and the amenities are top notch. Every aspect of Capella was first-class all the way.
This is a resort that is good for travelers who like a full-service one stop shopping type place - room service, multiple restaurants, pool-side service, spa, gym, yoga, and more. When our driver dropped us off at the front gate, we didn't leave the property again until it was time to go to the airport three days later.
After spending 7 days in Zihuatanejo at the beach, fishing, shopping, walking around town, we were looking forward to spending the final 3 days doing a whole lot of nothing. The town of Ixtapa wasn't of much interest to us, but of course the hotel can arrange all sorts of outings if you would like. Capella doesn't have the charming personal touch that the smaller Zihuatanejo B&Bs have, but every single staff member we encountered was attentive, polite, professional.
AmyCarbins - Oakland, California
We travel frequently all over the world and almost always stay in 5 star hotels. Capella is the best hotel that we have stayed anywhere we have visited in Mexico (we go to Mexico at least yearly to different places and have been going for the past 15+ years). The room (we stayed in one of the suites with its own infinity pool), the food, and the service-all outstanding. We would absolutely stay in this place again and will recommend it to our friends and family.
AlexanderWilson - Seattle, Washington
Capella Ixtapa is truly Heaven on Earth!
Stop - make your room reservation now. Done with that? Now read below about how amazing your trip to Capella Ixtapa will be! (I promise, I'm guest and they didn't pay me to write this review!!)
Based on the photos and reviews, we knew Capella Ixtapa was going to be a great resort - we had REALLY high expectations and the resort completely blew them out of the water! From the architecture to the staff to the margaritas (oh, the margaritas!), the resort is in a class by itself. The attention to detail is impressive - romantic turndowns, tons of plush, white towels in the room, cookies and coffee in the library, beer & guac brought to your room every afternoon, mini popsicles by the pool... you will be completely spoiled at every turn! The rooms are spacious, ultra-private, luxurious but still comfortable (the beds + the sound of the ocean make sleeping an amazing experience, not just a necessity!), and the view is unreal. We just spent the past 5 days in heaven, literally.
So the hotel, as expected, was amazing. The thing that all of the other reviews seemed to have missed though is the location!! Ixtapa is a resort town through and through, so it is well-manicured and attractive. Definitely check out the Ixtapa Marina - lots of little restaurants over the bay with views of the hills and docks filled with multi-million dollar yachts. But other than that, Zihaut (as the locals call Zihuatenejo) is the place to be. You are doing yourself a huge disservice if you skip out on Zihuat - the white sandy beaches and especially the bay are authentic and picture perfect! There is a sunset catamaran that will take you out through the bay and to the rock formations you will see from your hotel room - it's kind of booze cruise, but totally worth it for the price and places they take you.
Capella Ixtapa is the place to stay in this area for sure - The Tides is also nice if you're looking for beach and a little more action, but nothing can hang with Capella. The staff is wonderful, the rooms are the nicest I've ever seen (and we've stayed in our fair share of 5-star resorts), the food is amazing and we've never felt more relaxed. As for the area, we have felt totally safe everywhere and the food has been fantastic. We ate out off property several times and did not get sick once.
A few tips:
- Check the flights in detail before reserving your room, as it can be a long journey here! We flew from Miami with a layover in Mexico City (very confusing airport, by the way) into Zihaut, and it wasn't bad, but some of the other guests from the West Coast took a red eye down here.
- There is not really a beach at the resort, but with 2 cliffside infinity edge pools and an attentive waiter, who needs the beach?! Anyway, there are lovely, and busy, beaches just a few minutes away.
- Capella is not a place for children - as a guest, I would not be happy if there were kids here (it's so quiet and peaceful), and as a parent, it's not really safe (lots of stairs and we are on a cliff, after all) nor would a child enjoy it.
- Some reviews made it sound like Capella was really far away, but it's not. It is secluded, but only 5 - 10 minutes into Ixtapa and 10 - 15 minutes into Zihaut by cab.
- I don't speak any Spanish and my husband only speaks a little, but it wasn't a problem at all. The entire Capella staff speaks English, as do pretty much all of the locals.
- Experience some of the excursions - the amazing personal assistant Viri was so helpful setting up diving, dinners, etc. and she even arranged cab rides so we never had to wait.
- Take one or all of these at the hotel: Margarita Making Class (hands down, Miguel makes the best on the planet), Mexican Cooking Class, Tequila Tasting - all taught by the phenomenal staff and so much fun!
- Get to know the Capella staff - they are wonderful people and we have so enjoyed their company.
- It is certainly not a cheap trip, but it has been worth every last penny!
I will emphatically recommend Capella Ixtapa to anyone who will listen, and we will certainly be back!
*Via Trip Advisor
LFJohnson - Gainesville, Florida
I never take the effort to write reviews, but I was so impressed with the service at Capella that I was compelled to say something.
The hotel is beautiful, every room has an ocean view (every view has an ocean view, even from the shower, toilet, restaurant, gym, library).
The plunge pool in our suite was so romantic. What we really appreciated was that they don't nickel and dime you. Everything in the mini bar is free, every night they deliver beer, guac, salsa and chips to your room, the restaurant is priced appropriately (and delish), all bottled water by the pool is free, cabanas by the pool are free, free tequila in the library at night...
The service is phenominal, all the staff seemed genuinely happy to work there and they treated you like you were in their home. My husband and I were so relaxed and satisfied during our trip, that we are already planning to go back next year.
And the weather in November was perfection. It was warm but with a nice breeze. I would highly recommend it. One day we visited one of the other major hotels in Zijuatanejo for lunch and were not impressed by the food or the hotel (and it was more $$). It did not compare to Capella.
* Via Trip Advisor
LAgirl004 - Los Angeles, California
Truly a dream vacation
The cliff-side setting and incredible views were made perfect by a large outdoor space and a personal infinity pool. Service was excellent. Spa was very nice. This will be hard to top!
* Via Trip Advisor